Tanga is Tanzania’s second largest seaport and was once the starting point for trade caravans entering the interior of East Africa. Also Tanga is the most important Tanzanian port after Dar and lies just south of the Kenyan border. Tanga was the site of defeat of British and Indian troops by a German force in 1914. The Germans were aided by millions of angry bees whose hives had been destroyed by gunfire.
Major exports from the port of Tanga include sisal, coffee, tea, and cotton. The Germans introduced sisal to the area. Tanzania soon became the world’s leading producer, although the market collapsed in the 1970s. The Tanga Rope works allows visitors to view rope and twin made from sisal.
The town was first ruled by Arabs, then the Germans under Carl Peters who established the settlement in 1888. The Germans developed the town as entry port for the settlers. The harbour and surrounding is the centre of life in Tanga, with its hotels, bars and several markets in several neighbourhoods.
Old buildings constructed at the period of German rule include the Clock Tower, Court House, St Anthony Cathedral, the Tanga Library, and the Railway Station. While places to see around Tanga are the Tongoni Ruins, Amboni Caves, Toten Island , Galanos Hot Springs, Ndumi Village defense works, Mwarongo beaches and coastal mangroves, Raskazoni beach and the daily markets in the centre of town. It also provides good access to the Amani Nature Reserve, Maziwe Island Marine Reserve Usambara Mountains and Pangani